Monday, September 26, 2011

Photo love....

I've started a new online class -- Kat Sloma's "Find Your Eye: Starting the Journey."  I hope to discover what inspires me as a photographer, and how to begin the process of translating my inspirations into actual images.  As I've been mulling over what it is that I love about photography, I'm struck by how perfectly this aligns with the theme over at Kim Klassen's cafe this week.  Be sure to visit her site and check out all the "Love"-ly textured goodness there!

I think my primary motivation is to capture images that are portals. I want that Proustian moment, where the image instantly transports me to a particular time and place -- either real or imagined. I think that's why I love textures so much. They give an ordinary photo a "false history," which captures the viewer's imagination and adds a sense of story.

Processed with Kim Klassen's "Mayzee" (color burn @28%) and "Scripted Autumn" (color burn @100% and screen @57%, texture brushed off center)
 This could be "once upon a time...."
Kim Klassen's "Warm Grunge" (soft light @100%)
Sometimes all I have to do is just look at a photo, and I'm reliving that moment in time. Here, I remember every nuance of the lunch-time conversation with my husband, the feel of the spring breeze on my face as we ate outdoors, the joy at being back in Italy, where we spent the first four years of our marriage....
Kim Klassen's "luminous" (linear burn @35%), and three layers of "warm sun" (screen @100%, soft light @100% x2, texture brushed off plate)
....not to mention the fact that food just plain tastes better in Italy!

I also take pictures to recapture a sense of place.  This is more interesting to do when traveling, but I try to think like a tourist at home, too. Not too successfully I might add... these are all from Italy:


My eye is always seeing interesting things, but more often than not I'm too hesitant to move in to get a better shot.  This shot of the men having lunch could have been good, but how do you move a parked car?  I used my telephoto lens here -- the very thought of intruding on their meal made me nervous!  I'm hoping to get better at this.  I love street scenes!

I take pictures to get inspiration for my art.  I am drawn to the graphic designs and patterns I see in nature:


I also take pictures so I can laugh. I ran across this guy on a hike through England's Lake District last summer:
Kim Klassen's "Love in Layers" (color burn @100% and screen @83% with texture brushed off sheep to create a vignette)

And of course, there's Jackson...the only dog I know who sits on the seat in the car and gets indignant when a human tries to share his space.



I guess the idea is that if you know what inspires you to take pictures, you've taken the first step toward actually taking the pictures you want.

20 comments:

hannah said...

The first image is unforgettable: what a gorgeous processing to make it so luminous.
the remainder will be a journey. so much in there. homage to your marriage in many ways.
Isn't it funny the way ewes go down on their knees for a bite of grass.

deb duty said...

So many lovely photos today! My favorite is the second one. Such beautiful shades of blue and green and I love the rustic sign and fence. And the texture is perfect. Enjoyed your post!

Kmcblackburn said...

Visiting from TT. I think life works in mysterious ways...I've been gently planting the seeds in my better halfs brain that we should return to Italy. And here I am this morning....gazing longingly at your Italy photos. Seriously, is there NOTHING like Italy??? Sigh! BEautiful use of textures on your photos. A very lovely collection. Ciao!

Kathy

Grandma Deal said...

Love your Texture Tuesday entry. It really makes me want to see what treasures lie around the next curve in the walkway. Great job.

Kat Sloma said...

Perfectly said at the end, "If you know what inspires you to take pictures, you've taken the first step toward actually taking the pictures you want." You have so many wonderful reasons to enjoy capturing photos and processing your images. Your textured images are beautiful! I look forward to seeing more on your journey as the class progresses. And I will agree, food tastes better in Italy. :) Except for Mexican food, that is.

Kia said...

Ciao Kathleen.
Oh wow! So many delightful images today! Love them all! The sheep is so adorable, the "prosciutto crudo" looks so yummy (I miss it so much, but luckily I will spend October back in Italy, LOL!)... fab texture work on the first two photos, really lovely! Thanks for all this gorgeousness!

esra said...

Visiting from TT. Your images are beautiful and texture works are wonderful. and i loved reading your words.

Unknown said...

I'm visiting from Kat's FYE class...I've desired to get involved in Kim's textured classes...but I'm waiting until we settle back into PR and my head stops spinning. Seeing your textured work encourages me to keep it on my list.
Your portal image is fantastic! Your first 3 images transported me instantly...each one to a different time and place...real and imagined.
Looking forward to journeying with you.

Pat Mark said...

Oh Italy, how I long to return there. I have only been to Venice but I fell in love the moment I set foot on land. Love all these memories.

Sivinden said...

Interesting what you write about textures. Love the texture work you've done on the first photo!

Cedar said...

These are fantastic! Really beautiful! I love the first one--it is just so other world!

Marilyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marilyn said...

These images are just gorgeous. You were able to capture all the emotion in each shot. I laughed at the sheep. I also laughed at Jackson. I marveled at the water drops in both photos. And I'm licking my lips looking at the lunch!!

Patrice said...

What a fabulous set of photos! That gargoyle-ish figure is great!

Ginny said...

Each picture was so different and so beautiful. I enjoyed them all and the story that went with them.

Kia said...

Hi Kathleen. Thanks so much for your sweet words :) Yes, sunny days are a bit rare here. Quite hard for an Italian girl! Luckily the weather guy just said we will have a summery weather today and tomorrow. Wow! Can't wait! :)
Have a happy hump day!

Aimee Cotton Bogush said...

I love the variety of photos here. The directional sign one especially speaks to me. For me, you seem able to have caught the memory you were after, yet your photos also let me bring myself to the scene, that's very nice. And, the food photo is very well done, color and texture working together there. It draws me in and makes me keep coming back to it. (Could be I haven't had breakfast yet, too! LOL!) Thanks for sharing!

ShonEjai said...

Wow! Great work! Your use of textures is amazing. I especially like the Ewe on its knees. If I ran across that hiking I would have stared for days! I am starting a new challenge called I Heart Textures. I invite you to stop by and submit an entry!

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures, I like most the first one and water drops.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your post. Your pictues are beautiful. I especially like the first one - I love textures too, they just seem to give that added dimension that makes it even more special.
I like your text in the Ewe pic - looks uncomfortable!. Jackson made me a big grin, they have their own quirks too! I look forward to seeing more of your images.